Monday 23 June 2008

Pure Reason Revolution

Before you read this:

If you have heard of this band and you haven't heard of it from me or you're not one of the people who told me about them consider yourself a brilliant, intellectually balanced, erudite person with muchos respect from me.

If you haven't, shame on you.

Pure Reason Revolution are a charming new-prog rock band that no-one has heard of because no fucker bought their album meaning they were dropped from Sony BMG. Shame on you, world.

See? It isn't only your shitty indie-pop bands that no-one has heard of, you damned indie-kids!

These guys have only released on album so far - The Dark Third, which was released in 2006. Their next album is due this autumn and it is one of the things that I absolutely cannot wait for. Recently, I've really fallen in love with them and am going through a bit of a craze. But before I wax lyrical on the band itself, there's a few things I should mention, specifically how I heard of them.

Back in ye olde 2005, at the tender age of 16, myself and a bunch of friends were supposed to be seeing them in MK at a small club in the Xscape. Now I should point out that I hadn't heard of many bands at this point - I was still largely listening to videogame soundtracks (dark days) and had very little time for real music as I'd prejudged it according to the shit on the radio. Back on topic, we went to the Xscape but alas the club was 18+ and only one of our party was actually 18. Some people were quite upset - not myself particularly, for aforementioned reasons - but the band heard of our plight and came to meet us. In fact, the biggest fan of theirs among us - and thus considerably unhappy - was taken down to KFC to have a chat with them. Plus he got a signed copy of their EP which hadn't yet been released. Needless to say, he was quite a bit happier after that. ANYWAY.

The band were all charming lovely people and gave us all signed posters so we'd have something at least (they petitioned the club to let us in to no avail), but I, like a complete douche, left mine lying on an air-hockey table in the arcade. (D'oh). I wasn't as upset about this as I am now because I didn't actually know whether they were acutally any good or not.

Due to other things in my life happening subsequently I didn't rediscover them, despite being sent their EP, until I found their album in HMV and bought that. The real epiphany came sometime after that - quite recently, maybe four, five months ago. The Dark Third might be described as a "concept album" but whatever the fuck that concept might be about is not clear. Dreaming seems to be a strong theme (the "dark third" refers to the third of our lives we spend sleeping, I think), especially given the abstract nature of the lyrics (not to the same extent as The Mars Volta for example but still not exactly plain in their meaning), and it's quite "spacey". But it's packed with lovely guitar solos, keyboards and violins and a female vocalist/bassist who I'm in love with and...oh just go buy their album and listen to it, it's brilliant.




Unlike a lot of prog bands it's not at all hard to listen to, and the songs don't outstay their welcome. Did I mention the bassist is hot and has an amazing voice?



Yeah, she's hot and has an amazing voice.


I know you are fickle people and believe me if I knew how to put mp3s in the blog I would give you a sample. But since I can't, please just take my word for it.

No comments: